Enrique explains exit
Luis Enrique will take a year away from football after confirming his departure as Roma coach.
The Spaniard's exit was on Friday revealed by general director Franco Baldini following a disappointing Serie A campaign.
Roma can finish no higher than seventh heading into Sunday's final match at Cesena, meaning they will not qualify for Europe.
Enrique at a press conference on Saturday admitted his first season in charge had left him drained and, while he recognised he might not have been given any offers for next season anyway, he needs a year away from football.
"I've given everything this season. I don't think I'll be able to recover my energy over the summer - not the energy needed to motivate a group," he said.
"I definitely won't be coaching next season, though I don't know if I'd even have had any offers.
"I'm a very passionate person and this has been a marvellous adventure. Tough, yes, and I used up all my energy trying to reach a target.
"But when we were three or four games away we came up short. I don't think the season has been a complete failure."
The 42-year-old explained part of his frustration had been his relationship with the Italian media and he offered one last parting shot following reports surrounding his exit.
Enrique, who had a year left on his contract, held a meeting with his players on Thursday to explain the reasons for his exit and he has been annoyed his words have been twisted.
"I wrote on a piece of paper - that I have here with me now [he holds it up] - everything I said to the players, and it was even recorded," he said.
"I'm not going to show it to you, but I assure you it's very different to the things that appeared in the papers."
Date: 2012-05-14 13:59:34